Progreso: Latino Progress apoya la Iniciativa 122 en Seattle en las elecciones del 2015. ¡Visitanuestra página de Facebook para aprender más! Progreso: Latino Progress supports Initiative 122 in Seattle in the 2015 elections. Visit our Facebook page to learn more!
Progreso's mission is to ensure that Latino communities are fairly represented in Washington State’s social, economic and political systems to improve the quality of life for all Washingtonians.
Progreso believes that community-based support, civic engagement, and advocacy are needed to ensure that the needs of the Latino community are represented in decision making at the state level. Three of Progreso's values are:
- Empowerment: Strengthening Latino leadership, civic engagement and community leadership development
- Equity: Supporting the development of a common Latino-led policy advocacy strategy
- Justice: Advocating for systemic change towards equitable outcomes
Since its founding in 2012, Progreso has focused on civic engagement, coalition building, and advocacy around numerous issues that affect Latinos and communities of color in Washington, as well as advocacy for legislative priorities pertaining to education, immigration, carbon pollution, criminal justice, and other issues that affect communities of color.
Issues and impact in its very short history:
- Collaborated with partners to gain support and pass the Washington State Dream Act
- First State Housing Trust budget allocation of $27 million dedicated to farm worker housing
- Advocated UW School of Medicine to accept undocumented talented students
- Increased voter participation of Latinos and people of color in Yakima and King Counties
- Advocated King County Council to pass a new ordinance that provides voter information in Spanish & Korean and will implement new strategies to increase voter participation of underrepresented populations
- A founding member of the Racial Equity Team, a multi-racial network of lobbyists and organizations dedicated to advancing racially equitable legislation.
- Endorsed the Latino Equity Agenda
- Prevented budget cuts that would have eliminated the States Ethnic Commissions
- Successfully prevented repeal of driver's licenses issued to undocumented residents
- Lobbied on additional issues such as environmental justice, Washington Voting Rights Act, wage theft prevention, and criminal justice reform