Progreso is accepting applications for a full-time Lead Community and Youth Organizer. The Lead Community and Youth Organizer will coordinate and lead our Latinx youth organizing and civic engagement education efforts to empower high school youth and college students/young adults in the Central Washington region. This role will have a strong Environmental Justice focus.
Our vision is a vibrant and civically engaged Latinx community in Washington State. Progreso identifies, shares and advocates for a thriving Latinx community. Healthy and educated Latinx families build dynamic local communities and economies in Washington State. We cultivate new leaders, support cultural and community-based organizations, and improves the quality of life for all Washingtonians. To achieve its mission and address the needs of the Latinx community Progreso uplifts the community through civic engagement and political mobilization.
Progreso views young people as community leaders, both now and in the future. Our youth organizing and civic engagement education program, Alianza Leadership Network, provides the opportunity for local Latinx high school youth and college students/young adults to become future leaders for the community by educating them on critical issues and providing them opportunities to advocate for themselves on these issues. Through our work, we hope to raise a generation of socially conscious individuals that understand the importance of community engagement and civic involvement.
Along with working with youth, the position will develop strong bonds with community partners and members through which Progreso can inform and empower the larger community to mobilize on issues that impact them. The organizer will have the following specific responsibilities:
- Recruit, train, supervise and coordinate young adult Alianza members, volunteers, and other student groups with work activities;
- Plan, coordinate, and facilitate regular meetings with Alianza organizers, members and support the Alianza steering committee;
- Conduct educational activities and workshops for youth and community members to inform them of issues impacting immigrant youth and college student/young adult communities, including the Latinx community;
- Participate in community organizing efforts to build a base of youth and college students/young adults;
- Establish and recruit community leaders to the Yakima County Environmental Justice Steering Committee; attend environmental justice community meetings.
- Work closely with the Civic Engagement and Advocacy team to plan, develop and strengthen existing and new campaigns around Progreso’s state priorities, while building meaningful relationships and model appropriate positive interactions with community members and community partners;
- Engage in advocacy efforts on behalf of youth, young adults, immigrants, and low-income community members;
- Lead voter registration, Get-Out-the-Vote (GOTV) events like canvassing and phone banking, and other civic engagement initiatives in Central Washington;
- Help oversee individual program budgets and ensure proper financial stewardship;
- Strive to meet the goals as outlined in the Progreso Strategic Plan
Candidates will be evaluated on the basis of the following:
- Strong interest in environmental and social justice issues with an intersectional and equity lens;
- Desire to empower the Latinx community;
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills;
- Strong organizational skills and independence, requiring minimal supervision acquired from at least one year of experience in a similar field;
- Self-starter and motivated;
- Effective communication skills: interpersonal, electronic, and other mediums;
- Willingness to travel and have reliable transportation;
- Experience in working with youth (strongly preferred);
- Experience in curriculum development (preferred);
- Spanish-language skills (preferred).
Compensation and Benefits
Compensation is commensurate with experience as well as interest to work in the community.
How to Apply
Progreso will accept applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled. We will begin interviews on a rolling basis. Please email a detailed cover letter and resume describing your interest in the organization and position or any questions to: Oskar Zambrano, Political Director Oskar@proresowa.org