For the first time, in 2016, Progreso: Latino Progress conducted an extensive candidate endorsement process in legislative and executive races that make a large impact on the lives of Latinos in Washington State. We invited 34 candidates in 7 legislative districts and two statewide positions to participate in our endorsement process, which included a questionnaire and an interview to learn about their views and plans on a variety of issues that impact communities of color, including education, voting rights, environmental justice, and workers' rights.
Based on our assessment of the individuals who participated in our endorsement process, Progreso strongly recommends the following candidates and initiatives in the 2016 election:
- Tina Podlodowski for Secretary of State
- Erin Jones for Superintendent of Public Instruction
- Jennifer Goulet for State Representative in Legislative District 9
- A.J. Cooper for State Representative in Legislative District 15
- Rebecca Francik for State Representative in Legislative District 16, Position 1
- Gary Downing for State Representative in Legislative District 16, Position 2
- Kristine Reeves for State Representative in Legislative District 30
- YES on Initiative 1433
- YES on Initiative 1491
- YES on King/Pierce/Snohomish Regional Proposition 1 (Sound Transit 3)
- YES on Spokane County Proposition 1
- NO on Initiative 732 - Climate action is urgent, but I-732 is the wrong approach.